Many prominent citizens who rightfully have a place in this chapter are listed in other chapters in which their chief professional or civic duties have been outstanding.
Capt. D. H. Simpson [Detrata H. Simpson, born 1840] with his family, consisting of a wife and three children, came to the county early enough to have a part in the struggles of the pioneer. The exact date is not known, but his daughter, Mrs. Katy Brougher, now of New Orleans writes: “My mind sweeps back over the years to the long, long ago when we were toddling together, Quitman County and I; and again, I would so much like to know how my family arrived there; there were no roads to speak of in that water-bogged, cane-brake of sloughs, bayous, lakes, and rivers, but that rich, fertile Delta soil bewitched them; and again, one thing is certain of, Marks (Belen then) has always been the social center of that territory, the brave beginning taking place with the old Tom Hill Mansion supplying the setting. I recall playing with little girls named Lillie and Tiny at Fourth of July picnics under the old cedar trees around the building. The Ganongs from Jonestown [The 1900 census for Jonestown, Coahoma County, MS shows Luther M. Ganong and his wife, Lurene, and two daughters, Tinnie and Lilly], and the widow Alcorn from beyond Jonestown were there, too. And well do I remember being at a Christmas dance and seeing my mother dance with Judge Phipps, of Oxford; Mrs. Phillips the young widow, dancing with Mr. Marks; and papa and Mrs. Marks were partners in an old square dance. Captain Simpson’s daughter, Jennie, was married to Shine Turner (this is told elsewhere in this history) and after his death, she became a missionary to the mountaineers in Kentucky. Supported by the Presbyterian Board, she did valiant work in His Name for several years; but being frail of body, she succumbed to the dread disease, pneumonia, this having been brought on by exposure, which she encountered in her services. Her memory is revered, and each year the Presbyterian Church Circle in Marks devotes a service to her, and they are joined in this by other friends.”1
John A. Cooper: The great grandfather, on his father’s side of Hon. John Addison Cooper, planter and merchant, was born in England and emigrated to the U.S.A., locating in Georgia in its pioneer days; his son, John Cooper, was born in that state and married Miss Delilah Gibson, a native of South Carolina.
John served in the Florida War and was major of a battalion, but resigned and took a private’s place in his company from preference. His son, William S. Cooper, was born in Tennessee, and was there married to Miss Caroline Patton Anderson Enoch, also a native of that state. William S. came to Mississippi in 1884, and was one of the first settlers of Chickasaw County, also one of its most esteemed citizens, living the quiet and uneventful life of a tiller of the soil during the War Between the States. He enlisted in the Confederate Army in the beginning of 1863, and served as a faithful soldier until killed at the Battle of Franklin, Tennessee, in November, 1864. To this marriage was born eleven children, John Addison Cooper being the second in order of birth; the latter was but fourteen years of age at the time of his father’s enlistment, having been born in Chickasaw County, November 14, 1849. At this age he was left by his father in the full management of his business, and since that time he has not only taken care of himself, but also his mother a part of the time. He left home and began for himself with nothing but a horse and a saddler, purchased on a credit, his clothing and ten cents in money, he has, by his industry and excellent management accumulated great wealth. Being generous and openhearted, he prefers to assist with his time and means all worthy enterprises and to advance the interests of this county. Since locating in this county he has been one of the leading and substantial citizens, was elected chancery clerk in 1885, and in that capacity was a faithful officer for four years. He has been mayor of Belen, and at the present time is a representative in the state legislature. He has held various county offices and other positions of trust at the hands of the people of his county, and has discharged all duties with great credit to himself and to the perfect satisfaction of his constituents.
As a representative of his county he has studied the best interest of his people, and this has ever been uppermost in his mind and heart. He is a successful planter, being owner of 560 acres under cultivation, most of which has been opened and improved under his direction and management. He is also actively engaged in merchandising in Belen, carrying a stock of goods equal to the trade demand of his place of business. Mr. Cooper was married in 1876 to Miss Mary E. Lawler, a native of Coahoma County, and daughter of J. N. and Martha Ridley Lawler, both natives of Alabama.”2
He died in February, 1913, at the age of sixty-three. The sons and daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Cooper are: Virgil V. Cooper Sims; Martha C. Cooper Shults, Jackson; Alcorn Preston Cooper, Route 4, Jackson; John Addison Cooper, Jr., Washington, DC; Mary E. Cooper Fazakerly, Jackson; William Sewell Cooper.3
Martha C. Cooper Shults, of Jackson, was the first child born in the town of Belen.
William Arthur Cox, banker, lawyer, and planter of Marks, was one of the pioneer business men and developers of Quitman County, and comes of pioneer stock. He is a son of George and Maud Amanda C. Cox; his father, George M. Cox, migrated when only a small baby from his ancestral home in South Carolina to Georgia, and after a few years there, moved further west into what is now Tallahatchie County, Mississippi, then so sparsely settled that his home in the northern part of the county was several miles from the nearest neighbor. Mr. Cox was born near Enid, Tallahatchie County, January 10, 1877, and attended the common and high school there. From twenty to twenty-two years of age he attended the University of Mississippi and was given the Bachelor of Laws in 1899. The same year he sought the wider opportunities which the Delta offered to an ambitious young lawyer, and settled in Belen, then the county seat of Quitman. He succeeded in the practice of his profession from the beginning, but after six years, he decided to devote most of his energy to the financial world and to business instead of law. Hence, in 1905, he moved from Belen, to Riverside, where Marks now is, after accepting the position of cashier of Riverside Bank. The following year the town of Marks was officially established, and on account of its superior transportation facilities, was made the county seat. He served during 1906 as the first mayor of Marks, and from that day to this he has been one of the most active figures in the rapid development along all good lines not only of Marks, but all of Quitman County. He remained as cashier of the bank until 1911, when its success under his direction had become so apparent, and its efficiency as a factor in the growth of the community had become so conspicuous that he was elected its president. Mr. Cox added general insurance to his business and also has hastened the development of cut-over lands by making a connection through which farm lands are used as a security for loans. Prospering financially, Mr. Cox began to invest his surplus in Delta lands, first in Quitman, and then in Poinsett County, Arkansas. His holdings aggregate some 2,000 acres of which 1,200 are now in cultivation. Mr. Cox is a member of the Baptist Church, Clarksdale Lodge of Elks, also a Knight of Pythias. He and Miss Myrtle Ellison, daughter of L. H. Ellison, of Memphis, and this county, were married in 1906. Their children are: William Arthur, Jr., Jamie C., J. Ellison, Fern Dorris, Lelia Mai, Leon H., and Zula D.4
James Valentine Cook, planter of Belen, son of Silas and Lydia (Clements) Cook, was born in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama. The Cook family were originally from England and the first emigrants to America located in Virginia and the Carolinas. Silas Cook, born in South Carolina, came to Mississippi with his parents, Daniel and Mary (King) Cook, in 1815, and was married in 1832 to Miss Clements, a native of Tennessee.
After residing in Alabama one year, Mr. Cook and family returned to Mississippi, where he continued planting until his death in 1869. James Valentine Cook, reared in Lowndes County, received his early training at Columbus; in 1860 he graduated from the Medical Dept. of the University of Louisiana at New Orleans and practiced in that state until the outbreak of the war. He volunteered his services to the Confederacy, entered a Louisiana Company, and was immediately made second Lieutenant. This company went to Richmond, Virginia, where Cook received an appointment as senior assistant surgeon in a hospital in Richmond, remaining there until November, 1864. He was in the Battle of Gettysburg, Anderson’s Division, and was afterward appointed surgeon in the Confederate navy, being assigned duty on the gunboat Spray on the coast of Florida. There he remained until the close of the war, after which he returned to Mississippi, where he resumed his practice, and in connection, carried on planting. He moved to Coahoma County in 1876, remained there until 1880, then retired from practice, settling on his plantation in Quitman. He was successful and accumulated considerable property–720 acres. Dr. Cook was one of Quitman’s most substantial early settlers, always having the best interest of the county at heart, and was a liberal contributor to all benevolent and religious enterprises, and though not a member of any church, he was a firm friend to Christianity. He was a staunch Democrat in politics, and a true patriot.5
“Charles W. Partee, Sr., one of the leading citizens of the Delta, and a Confederate veteran, died at his home at Belen, January 10, 1929.
“He was born in Gibson County, Tennessee, in 1844, son of Squire Boone and Martha A. (Douglas) Partee. About 1847 or 1848, the family moved to Panola County, and settled a few miles northeast of Como, where his father became a planter. He was educated in the common schools of Panola, and remained on his father’s plantation until the outbreak of the War Between the States. He was seventeen years old when he volunteered in the Confederate Service at Union City, Tennessee, serving with Company F, Twelfth Mississippi Infantry, C. S. A.
“Later, he went to Jack Floyd’s Independent Cavalry Company, which operated around Memphis, regulating conditions which had arisen in that vicinity, and then became Company H, of Alexander Chalmers Battalion, which still later became the Eighteenth Mississippi Cavalry, C. S. A. He had five brothers in the Confederate army, A. Z., R. D., Hiram, J. K. B., and S. B. Partee, Jr. His father died during the war and left large tracts of land in Quitman and other counties in the Delta. Mr. Partee married Miss Elizabeth Jackson, Oct. 22, 1871, but she died many years ago.
“He was identified with every progressive movement for Quitman County and the Delta, and is survived by his five children: C. W. Jr. of Memphis; Mrs. N. J. Davis of Arkansas; Mrs. I. C. Denton, Marks; Mrs. G. A. Denton, Belen and Mrs. Nina Mae Nardie, of Greenville.”6
T. P. McArthur, born in Winston County, April 12, 1874, at the age of thirteen moved to Quitman County with his parents. During his early days he tilled the soil for a livelihood for himself and the family, but as he grew into young manhood he went into the timber business, which was at that time a very lucrative industry here. He helped to flat millions of feet of lumber to the nearest market–which was Vicksburg. The trip, starting from Marks on the Coldwater River, would take five weeks, but with food and crude facilities with which to prepare it, the trip was at least bearable. At the age of twenty-three, he was married to Miss Ida Bonner, who only lived seven months after marriage, dying with appoplexy. In December, 1897, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary Orr, and to this union have been born five children. At one time he was tax assessor and made a splendid officer. Scrip was worth fifty cents on the dollar when he went into office, but at the close of his four year term it was worth a dollar for dollar. He over doubled tax receipts and exhibits, with a pleasure copy of a complimentary write up in the “Jackson Daily News” calling this the Banner County of Mississippi. Later, Mr. McArthur, was elected sheriff, and subsequently served three terms with the required intervening four years between each one. In this latter office he showed wonderful native ingenuity in the management of it, placing capable men in the offices. He served as general field man and was adept in the act of capturing stills, blind tigers, etc. He used the hand of justice, but where there was crime “Philey,” as he was known by his numerous friends, always produced results, even if it was sometimes hard for him.
Joe Blackmon has an important place on the roster of ex-officials of Quitman County. He served as second sheriff of the county, and would have certainly succeeded himself without opposition had the law not prohibited this. He was generous to a fault, never turning aside from duty to his office and his fellowman. Many were the calls on his time, energy, and purse to help others. Young men coming in from the hills to pick cotton in the fall season were all offered lodging in his home; they knew he was a friend to man by his many acts demonstrating this. He was a Christian after the pattern Christ set for his followers. And “He went about doing good.” The first marriage certificate issued in this county was for the union of J. J. Blackmon and Thirza Hatch in 1877. She died with a strange malady, which could not be diagnosed; later he married Mrs. Bettie Phillips, a young school teacher with three children by a former husband, A. J. Phillips, who died a few years before. To this union were born two children, James A. Blackmon, now living in Marks, and Clyde, now Mrs. Thames Lloyd, of Jackson.4
W. V. Turner, one of the representative planters of the county, came to this section in 1874, before any such division as Quitman County was even thought of, and settled along the Tallahatchie River. Mr. Turner came here before there was ever a railroad established between Marks and the Mississippi River, and first engaged in the mercantile business, and also farmed some land. Later on, however, he devoted his time to farming exclusively, and operated a place of about 1500 acres. Mr. Turner was not confined to business and farming altogether, as he was elected sheriff of this county in 1904 and served the four-year term efficiently. Mr. Turner’s death occurred in 1921.
J. B. White established the principal business houses at Belen in 1909, and throughout its existence he did both a furnishing business and a cash trade. Mr. White also operated a farm near Belen, devoted principally to raising valuable long staple cotton, but an abundance of grain as well. Being of a splendid character, Mr. White was elected sheriff in 1896 and served a four-year term. It is said that he made one of our best sheriffs.
Reuben and Mary Shotwell, “Rube” was an early supervisor of county affairs, and was a great bear hunter. When he married sixteen year old Mary Sims he was more than twice as old as she, but their “infair” was the most elaborate social event to take place in the early days and was attended by friends from afar and near. The supper was cooked and served by a chef from Memphis, Tennessee, and it is remembered that the dessert, boiled custard, was flavored with juice from crushed peach tree leaves, this making a splendid substitute of pistachio. Mrs. Shotwell, now a widow, 1927, owns and operates a retail dairy near Clarksdale, Coahoma County.
“Mrs. Lou Dean, of Belen, died at her home Wednesday morning after an illness of several weeks at the age of eighty years and two weeks.
“She was a native of Panola County, moving here with her family before the War Between the States, and was a daughter of John Burleyson, who was among the first settlers of this section.
“She was married to William Dean, who died in this county long years ago and was a member of the Baptist Church, joining when a young girl, and has lived an examplary Christian life. She is survived by one brother, J. J. Burleyson, of Marks; a half-brother, B. B. Burleyson, Raleigh, Tennessee; and a half-sister, Mrs. Emma Green, of Memphis; besides a number of other relatives.”7
Founder of Marks
Leopold Marks, for whom the city of Marks is named, was one of the most remarkable men in the county, and helped greatly in developing the Mississippi Delta. As a youth he fled from his native country, Löbau, West Prussia, to escape service in the German Army. He landed in New York with only a few cents, knowing neither language nor man that lived there. He worked in New York long enough to furnish a pack with jewelry which he peddled across country until he reached Friars Point, Mississippi, and then came across country to where Marks now stands. Here he bought a small trading boat which plied the Coldwater River; realizing that the dense forests would prove very valuable for lumber, he bought land at forty cents per acre,–lands that since have become as valuable as $400 per acre. Later, he opened a store at Marks and his mercantile and planting business grew so rapidly that for years prior to his death he was the leading man in the Delta. In 1877 he took such an active and efficient part in the organization of Quitman County that he was sent as its first member to the State Legislature, where he served eight years.
When the Yazoo & Mississippi Valley Railroad started to build its line from Lake Cormorant to Tutwiler, he gave without cost the right-of-way through his plantations and ten acres of land in Marks. Liberal almost to a fault, no worthy cause or needy person failed to receive his beneficence. Mr. Marks died in 1910 leaving a posterity worthy of its ancestry, six thousand acres of magnificent land, and a spotless name revered by all who knew him. Since he could not live to see the actual development of his town as his sons did, it is probably that he had a vision of what was finally to come out of the labors of the old settlers–a rich and modern community.
The following notice was sent to friends on the death of Mrs. Pauline Marks, wife of the late L. Marks, one who sacrificed a choice part of his plantation in order to make possible the town of Marks:
“The friends and acquaintances
The family of L. Marks
are invited to attend the funeral of
Mrs. Pauline Marks,
which will take place at
Helena, Ark., on tomorrow
Riverside, Mississippi, Sept. 28, 1901.”8
Other Prominent Citizens
C. C. Barringer removed to Quitman from Lafayette County approximately forty years ago. He first clerked in a store at Belen, and was a bookkeeper for some of the leading business firms of the county for several years. His ability and interest in public affairs made him a member of the county board of supervisors in 1904, and as assessor for the term of 1912-1916, he made one of the best officers the county ever had. In 1920 he won out in a keen contest with some strong opponents for sheriff, and since that time Barringer has turned his interest mainly to farming.
W. T. Covington, one of the most useful men in Quitman County, was a native of Panola, and came here in 1886, about nine years after the county was organized. In the part of the county where he first lived, he was the only white man making his residence, there, but within three years, he was chosen one of the five supervisors of this county, and so sound was his judgment, so sterling his honesty, and so capable his administration, that in 1891 he was chosen to fill the consolidated office of clerk for both the circuit and chancery courts of Quitman County, and held those offices for sixteen years. He served in the legislature from 1911 to 1915, aiding in passing the Torreyson land-title act, the bank-guarantee act, and in repealing the old Tallahatchie drainage act. He was elected to the state Senate in 1918, where he supported woman’s suffrage, and secured the passage of many local drainage, road, and school laws. As a citizen and a progressive planter Senator Covington is remembered as one of the most valued assets the county ever had.
Frank W. Bizzell, who originally came from Tate County, was a teacher in Tate for ten years before he came to Quitman. He came to Marks in 1909, and taught in the new school at this place, being the first teacher to have charge of the new and improved school. After teaching two years at Marks, he taught a year as principal at Lambert, and was prevailed upon to cover a broader field; he was elected county superintendent of education for three successive terms–1912 to 1924. He had the satisfaction and enjoyment of serving through a period when the schools of Quitman County progressed from mere cabins to handsome new brick buildings, with every modern convenience. At the close of this term as superintendent of education of the county, he went to work for the American Book Company, and was working for this concern when he was taken ill in Chattanooga, Tennessee, and died there in a hotel.
J. H. Lamar, who came originally from Calhoun County, served Quitman as circuit clerk for sixteen years–1916 to 1924, and 1928 to 1936. Foregoing this, he engaged in the manufacturing business, having established a plant for making plows, operating the place in connection with a wood-shop and blacksmith-shop. He is a man of the conservative type, modest in his demeanor, and it is doubtful if there was ever a more popular office holder in the county. He was always anxious to serve those who had business to transact under the scope of his department; was a member of the local draft board of Quitman County during the World War. Mr. Lamar selected 702 good men for the service–202 of whom were white and five hundred colored. He was not a candidate for re-election in 1935, and at the close of the year, retired to his home in Lambert.
George Cox is found among that representative group of leaders who are recognized as foremost in business and political circles of Quitman County, and who, like in other leaders, is most influential in all affairs. At one time Mr. Cox was leading merchant of Marks and a planter of note, and his success is typical of the careers of other leading business men of the Mississippi Delta. He did a large furnishing business for the plantations surrounding, and a good cash business as well. Besides his business affairs, he took time to devote to public duties, especially as pertaining to schools–serving as member of the separate school district board. As chancery clerk for the term of 1928-32, he made one of the best officers the county ever had. Since 1932, Mr. Cox has devoted his time to his farming interests.
Dr. B. J. Marshall, dentist, came to Marks from Natchez in 1910, and has always ranked as a leader in the community. He organized the Marks Business League and served as secretary for several years. At one time he was secretary of the Mississippi State Board of Dental Examiners, and has served as a member of the Board of Aldermen, and as a member of the Board of School Trustees. He has taken an active and leading part in every improvement the town has undergone and continues his capacity as the town’s best qualified “booster.” He has seen Marks grow through its busiest and largest development, and is one of the best informed men in the community on the affairs of the town.
Dr. H. D. Glass came to Lambert in 1902 as a practicing physician. About 1918, he became president of the Quitman County Bank at Lambert; is owner of the big lumber mill at Crowder, and a partner in Glass & Ellison Motor Company. He also had great agricultural interests–the partnership of Glass & White, cultivating about 1,600 acres of land; Dr. Glass having about 2,200 acres individually. He was appointed first mayor of Lambert when it was incorporated in 1905, during Governor Vardaman’s administration.
H. W. Wagner, who migrating here from the North, was a citizen whose memory will linger long in the hearts of local countians. He was not professional as the term is generally accepted, but was, in truth, professional in the art of serving his fellow-man. No worthy cause or needy person was ever brought to his attention who did not receive his beneficence. It was generally accepted that if there was poverty, hunger, or distress in the hearts and lives of those in the neighborhood, Henry Wagner was the man to make it right, and he did not belie this confidence even once. He was always there with his word of cheer and plans for further help, and it was not hard for his plans to be put into effect because everyone had such implicit confidence.4
Officials and Ex-Officials
G. C. Jones was sheriff and circuit clerk of the county.
Frances Marion Hamblett was a lawyer, and at one time superintendent of education.
Will Jamison was the first circuit and chancery clerk of the county and also operated a ferry at the mouth of Coldwater River, the kind that was guided with a large rope.
(Harve) Green was sheriff of the county when Betzel was to be hanged, and it is said that the duty involved in this case affected him so much that he appointed Captain N. A. Smith, erstwhile resident, a deputy for a day, so he might “spring the trap.” Captain Smith had no feeling in the matter and performed the duty according to law.4
L. G. Newsom, who served as tax assessor for Quitman County, tells of the following incident which happened during his administration: The board of supervisors was sentenced to be jailed. The story went on that there arose a controversy in regard to the tax roll and receipts, and the board of supervisors refused to carry out instructions from the tax commission, Duncan Thompson, chairman, whereupon they were tried and sentenced to be “locked up.” They took an appeal to the Supreme Court, with the result that the sentence was affirmed. However, the period of service for this particular board ended just at this time and a new one came in, which saved the situation.9
Dr. J. U. Abernathy, one of Quitman County’s pioneers and a former county superintendent of education, tells of some of the conditions of the schools of the county during his administration. He says that he built a consolidated school at Sabino out of sixteenth section funds, and also states that he circulated a petition asking that the board of supervisors order an election to levy two mills and an extra dollar poll tax, to supplement the school fund. After the collection of taxes he equipped every white school in the county with furniture, and raised the teachers salaries from twenty and forty dollars, to fifty and one hundred dollars per month.10
J. H. Lamar, or “Uncle John”, as he is affectionately called by all who knew him, served the county as circuit clerk for four years. I asked him if he could tell us anything interesting about his administration, and he said: “I served on the local board during the World War, and selected 902 men to serve–202 white and 700 colored.”11
Clint Henderson, ex-official, who served as sheriff of Quitman county, states that he had an eventful term of office, except that the celebrated Cofer trial was held then–1928-1932. Cofer, with several accomplices, was tried for murdering a man named Truitt, who was in the employ of the United States as a prohibition officer. Cofer, with his family, lived in Yalobusha County, but plied his trade, bootlegging, all over the surrounding territory. He discerned or was told, that Truitt was “after him,” so he stepped up on the porch of the man’s home at night, called him out and shot him. Counsel was selected from the leading law firms of the state, and a hard fight on both sides was made. The first trial, lasting only a week, was a mistrial; the second trial brought a verdict of conviction, but on being carried to Supreme Court, was reversed. Then came the tug of war, or legal battle lasting three weeks, and finally ended with Cofer spending his remaining days at Parchman.12
Charley Barringer, ex-sheriff of Quitman County, has a citation notice which was published fifty years ago, during J. A. Cooper’s term as clerk of circuit and chancery courts. It was addressed to “J. H. McDavitt, Maggie Lake Hauk, William Hauk, Henry Craft Hauk and Hattie Lawryee Hauk, the four last named persons being the minor children and only heirs at law of J. S. Hauk, deceased; and Mrs. Hattie B. Dorion, Mrs. Willie L. Lake, Howell Turner, Carrie Turner, and Ella Turner, children and only heirs at law of T. B. Turner, deceased. And all of the above parties being residents of and having their post office address at Memphis, Shelby County, Tennessee.
“YOU are commanded to appear before the chancery court of the county of
Quitman, in the State of Mississippi, on the second Monday of May, 1887, to defend the suit in said court of Pauline Marks, wherein you are defendants.
This, December 3rd, 1886.
J. A. COOPER, Clerk.
Waddell & Montgomery, solicitors for complainants.”
This notice was mailed to Memphis and the stamp was the Benjamin Franklin
Searching the records in the circuit clerk’s office, we found the first marriage license issued in Quitman County was that of Thirza Hatch and J. J. Blackmon.14
The present county administration (1936) has the distinction of being composed of the youngest officials since the organization of the county. The sheriff, Ben Gray Barringer, is the youngest sheriff ever enrolled on the county records; Mrs. Lula Mae Jones, formerly Miss Lula Mae Carroll, of Eupora, a graduate of M.S.C.W., is superintendent of education; Hayward Covington, son of the late Senator W. T. Covington, is circuit clerk; P. L. Denton, nephew of the late Judge M. E. Denton, is county attorney; W. A. Harper, is tax assessor; E. E. Whitwell, chancery clerk. The present supervisors are: J. B. Lollar, J. B. Bingham, Claussen Peden, Dr. A. Jamison, and G. G. Rotenberry.
1 Mrs. Katy Brougher, New Orleans, Louisiana
2 Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Mississippi, Vol. 1, pp. 589-590
3 Mrs. Martha C. Cooper Shults, Jackson, Mississippi
4 Mrs. Blanche Denton, Jackson, Miss.
5 Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Mississippi, Vol. 1, pp. 585-586, Goodspeed Publishing Company
6 Commercial Appeal, January 12, 1929
7 Marks Advertiser, December 30, 1921
8 Scrapbook belonging to Mrs. W. L. Shults, Jackson, Mississippi
9 L. G. Newsom, Marks, Miss.
10 J. U. Abernathy, Marks, Miss.
11 J. H. Lamar, Marks, Miss.
12 Clint Henderson, Marks, Miss.
13 Records of Chancery Clerk
14 Records of Circuit Clerk
Photo of Ben Franklin StampBy US Post Office (Gwillhickers: Smithsonian National Postal Museum) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Copyright © 2016
All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor